- Developments in scientific research follow improvements in apparatus
- Antagonistic role of insulin and glucagon in control of blood glucose concentration.
- Role of hyroxin hormone in metabolic rate and body temperature regulation.
- Inhibition of appetite by leptin hormone.
- Melatonin is secreted by the pineal gland to control circadian rhythms.
- Rol of testosterone in pre-natal development of male genitalia and development of secondary sexual characteristics during puberty.
- Role of estrogen and progesterone in pre-natal development of female reproductive organs and female secondary sexual characteristics during puberty.
- Regulation of the menstrual cycle through positive and negative feedback regulation.
Applications and skills
- Causes and treatment of Type I and Type II diabetes.
- Testing of leptin on patients with clinical obesity and reasons for the failure to control the disease.
- Causes of jet lag and use of melatonin to alleviate it.
- The use in IVF of drugs to suspend the normal secretion of hormones, followed by the use of artificial doses of hormones to induce superovulation and establish a pregnancy.
- William Harvey’s investigation of sexual reproduction in deer.
|IB Biology students working together to figure out the antagonistic regulation of blood sugar.|