Dear Grade 12 parents and students,
This month in English, we have focused on the following skills:
- reviewing our definitions of language and culture
- note taking in structured lectures for university preparation
- creating, presenting, and reflecting on our own media creations
- understanding terms and concepts related to mass media and communication (media literacy, convergence, media convergence, remediation, linguistic attributes, genre, sub-genre)
Moving on through September and into October, we will be focusing on our unit on Media Bias. During this unit, students will focus on understanding the following questions through analysis and discussion of various forms of media.
1) What is bias? What does biased media look like?
2) How can
we learn to identify biased language/media?
3) How does
the context of a text help us understand its biased use of language/media?
4) What are
the effects of bias?
5) Is it
even possible to avoid bias?
Thanks for your time and attention. All homework, resources, and course information is on our shared Google Classroom website which we have been using since the start of September.
As always, if you have any questions, thoughts, or concerns, please feel free to email me at email@example.com